Jon 1:5-6 CEV
(5) The sailors were frightened, and they all started praying to their gods. They even threw the ship's cargo overboard to make the ship lighter. All this time, Jonah was down below deck, sound asleep.
(6) The ship's captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep at a time like this? Get up and pray to your God! Maybe he will have pity on us and keep us from drowning."
Jon 1:12-14 MSG
(12) Jonah said, "Throw me overboard, into the sea. Then the storm will stop. It's all my fault. I'm the cause of the storm. Get rid of me and you'll get rid of the storm."
(13) But no. The men tried rowing back to shore. They made no headway. The storm only got worse and worse, wild and raging.
(14) Then they prayed to GOD, "O GOD! Don't let us drown because of this man's life, and don't blame us for his death. You are GOD. Do what you think is best."
Jonah is a type (representation) for the church today!
While the world is going to hell, we choose to hide away from this treacherous scene and simply sleep through the crisis!
Jonah was so unconcerned for the Lost that he ran away from his God-given mission to go to Nineveh... and he continued in his hardheartedness by staying below deck and sleeping while the crew faced a hellish death.
How interesting to note that these very sailors who Jonah had shown so little concern for are willing to risk their lives by not throwing Jonah overboard... but instead attempted to row to shore.
Am I sleeping while the world... and my world around me is going to hell?
Am I running to or away from my God-given mission to seek and save the lost?
How much time, energy and money am I spending on reaching out to lost people?
"Young men and old men, and sisters of all ages, if you love the Lord, get a passion for souls. Do you not see them? They are going down to Hell by the thousands."
C. H. Spurgeon
Dear God, I repent of my hardheartedness towards Lost people.
Save me from my hardheartedness. Help me to run towards my mission... towards the Lost.
Give me wisdom in the use of my time... to be intentional about spending time with my Nonnies.
May my heart beat with yours... for the Lost.
May you give me opportunities this week to build relationships and share my faith.
You are great Oh God, and I am not ashamed of the gospel, I am not ashamed of your Name!
Thank you that you have faith in me.