Wednesday, 13 June 2007

John 4: 31-34 - Feed Me!

SCRIPTURE:

Joh 4:31-34 MSG
(31) In the meantime, the disciples pressed him, "Rabbi, eat. Aren't you going to eat?"
(32) He told them, "I have food to eat you know nothing about."
(33) The disciples were puzzled. "Who could have brought him food?"
(34) Jesus said, "The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started.


OBSERVATION:

One of the comments that I am sooo familiar with, working in the church now for over 12 1/2 years in 3 different churches and 2 countries is... "I'm just not being fed in the church anymore." or "I'm not growing here".
I would have to say that of the 100's of people I have had discussion whom have made those statements... easily 98% of them were not having regular personal devotions (and some 50% of them were carrying offense). Yet they pointed their finger else where... at the church. They thought that by placing themselves in a new environment they could escape themselves. But you can't!

Having a daily personal devotion is just so key to maintaining your spiritual health. As Jesus said... 'Man will not live by bread alone...'
But in todays reading I was struck with another side to this whole issue: Jesus said that what nourished Him and kept Him energized and healthy was doing the Will of His Father.

Perhaps much of Western Christianity's problem is that we are bored, undernourished Christians... seeking out our own will (get a good education, get a job, get married, have 2.5 kids, get a batch, save for retirement, have a fancy holiday, etc.) instead of God's. We miss out on the faith adventure that God has for us.

APPLICATION:

What is God's will for my life?
What is God's will for me... today? (without getting super spiritual and flakey)

I know I'm passionate when I'm communicating God's truth, mentoring and seeing leaders developed. I'm passionate to see the church prosper, to see its people fly. I'm passionate about Lost people connecting with Jesus.
I need to spend my time and resources here... it nourishes me!

What is God's will for you?
What is God's will for you... today?
What is it that nourishes you?

PRAYER:

Dear Jesus, help me to focus on those things You have purposed me for... to complete the task that You have set out for me to accomplish.
I thank you that I have Your mind, I know Your will.
Help me to obey Your leading... to be sensitive to Your leading.
May I finish the race set before me well!
Amen

No comments: