Tuesday, 12 June 2007

John 3:16 - Clothing Yourself With God's Character

SCRIPTURE:

Joh 3:16 MSG
(16) "This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.


OBSERVATION:

Isn't it interesting that the very foundation of Christianity is based on GIVING, and it is this very subject that the modern church repels against!
And its not just in the area of finances either... how easy do we find it to GIVE praise to others? Instead we seek to pull others down, to take from them so that we might look better.

We have been created in the very image and likeness of God!
Yet so often we display the image and likeness of satan... he is a TAKER, a hoarder!
Have you ever wondered why we feel so good when we give... I believe it is because it is then that we actually connect with God's image and likeness within us. We connect with Him as we display His character!

We need to stop TAKING. We need to stop HOARDING. We need to stop the smallness and madness of carrying satan's character!

We need to clothe ourselves with GIVING... with God's character.
Stop trying to save your life, protect your time, hoarde / squander your money on yourself.
Give.
Experience the bigness and freedom of walking in God's Character!

A week or 2 ago I quoted Dixie Fraley in my other blog:
"Gaze upon Christ long enough, and you'll become more of a giver. Give long enough and you'll become more like Christ."


APPLICATION:

Each day I need to clothe myself with God's character of GIVING.
I need to be creative and inventive.
I need to praise people,
I need to bless people financially,
I need to serve people,
I need to give my time to people (even just to listen!)

A great Jewish article I read some time ago suggested keeping a money box that one could practice giving to each day.
The importance of giving each day was that it created a hand that was used to giving. It becomes a daily habit. (as opposed to the one off giving which only happens every now and again... which is hardly habit forming and character transforming).

Maybe its not a money box, but a praise box, a serving box or whatever for you. I think I'm going to start a money box. I must train my hand... my character.

PRAYER:

Father, thank you so so so very much for the amazing gift of your Son. It is beyond comprehension!
Please help me each day to clothe myself in your character... to become a daily giver. transform my sinful soul... make me into a generous soul... truly in your image.
Amen

No comments: