Tuesday, 26 June 2007

John 14:21 - Love Is A Doing Word

SCRIPTURE:

Joh 14:21 ALT

(21) "The one having My commandments and keeping them, that one is the one loving Me. And the one loving Me will be loved by My Father, and _I_ will love him and will reveal Myself to him."

OBSERVATION:

I have 3 observations:

1) I love Jesus by keeping His commandments

2) I am loved by the Father because of my love for Jesus

3) Because of my love for Jesus… He will reveal Himself to me

Loving Jesus by keeping His commands was not a totally new thought. The Jews understood that by keeping the Mitzvah (commandments) found in the Torah that they actually connected with God. Check out the selection below from the ASKMOSES website.

A Mitzvah (pronounced MITZ-vah) is a Hebrew word which means “commandment” and “connection.” A Mitzvah is a commandment. If I command you to serve me lunch, that’s a Mitzvah from me to you. The Mitzvot are G-d’s commandments to the Jewish people in the Torah.

And that’s just the idea of the Mitzvah. For “Mitzvah” doesn’t just mean “commandment”: it means “connection” too. You are connected to G-d. When you do a Mitzvah, you’re expressing that connection. Whatever, whenever, you’re always connected to G-d, and you can express that connection by doing a Mitzvah.

"The content on this page is provided by AskMoses.com, and is copyrighted by the author, publisher, and/or AskMoses.com. You are welcome to distribute it further, provided you do not revise any part of it and you include this statement, credit the author and/or publisher, and include a link to www.AskMoses.com."


What an interesting thought… that it is as we obey Jesus… that he begins to reveal more and more of Himself to us.
My disobedience prevents me from connection and revelation!

APPLICATION:

I need to ensure that I am obeying Jesus!

In churches it can be the norm to concentrate on obeying moralistic / ritual Mitzvah. We may focus on subjects such as keeping pure, having faith, prayer.
But what we can so easily forget are the ethical Mitzvah / how we interact with people.
Did you know that there are only 500 verses on prayer & the same on faith, but over 2000 on the poor and another 2000 on finances and generosity!

Help me to love people… by my actions (and thereby to Love You Jesus!)


PRAYER:

Its so easy to be mislead in my focus Jesus, but please help me to Love You… to obey You… thereby loving others.
I need your help. Place a passion for people in my heart.
Help me to move from intention to action!
Amen

No comments: