Monday, 11 June 2007

John 2: 1-10 - The Miracle Is In The Movement!

SCRIPTURE:

Joh 2:1-10 MSG
(1) Three days later there was a wedding in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there.
(2) Jesus and his disciples were guests also.
(3) When they started running low on wine at the wedding banquet, Jesus' mother told him, "They're just about out of wine."
(4) Jesus said, "Is that any of our business, Mother--yours or mine? This isn't my time. Don't push me."
(5) She went ahead anyway, telling the servants, "Whatever he tells you, do it."
(6) Six stoneware water pots were there, used by the Jews for ritual washings. Each held twenty to thirty gallons.
(7) Jesus ordered the servants, "Fill the pots with water." And they filled them to the brim.
(8) "Now fill your pitchers and take them to the host," Jesus said, and they did.
(9) When the host tasted the water that had become wine (he didn't know what had just happened but the servants, of course, knew), he called out to the bridegroom,
(10) "Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill brings in the cheap stuff. But you've saved the best till now!"

OBSERVATION:

What thought struck me is the probability that when the servants drew the 'water' out the pots that it was still water... and on the journey to the host it turned into wine (and the finest at that!)

I make this assumption as miracles so often happened only as people of God took steps of action / faith.
Eg. When crossing the Red Sea, they had to actually place their feet in the water before it parted!
Eg. Jesus dividing the 5 loaves and 2 fish out to the 12 disciples... and as they distributed it ... they fed 5000 men... perhaps 20 - 25 000 people in total!

So for the miracle to occur... people needed to act (fill the jars and draw it out and take it to the host).
Interesting that Jesus didn't change the water physically himself... but that He included the servants in the miracle.
Also interesting that Jesus used what they had (the water)

APPLICATION:

1) I must not wait for the miracle to happen before acting... I must act and the miracle will happen.

2) I must not wait idly for the miracle to happen. I must stop hiding behind prayer. I must get up and do!
(2/3rds of God's Name is GO and 2/3rds of Gods Name backwards is DO. So we must GO and DO!)

3) The material of the miracle is 'what I already have '. I need to stop looking hopefully at what everyone else has... or hold back until I get the 'miracle' something before stepping out. What is in my hands now?

PRAYER:

Daddy, so often I can easily hide behind prayer and just 'trust' that you'll solve X, Y and Z... but You are waiting for me to GO and DO... to step out in faith.

Lord especially in the area of finances... help me to step out... to believe that what I have in my hand is enough, that You will take it and multiply it and work a miracle with it!

Give me the faith and willing obedience of those servants. May excuses never stand in my way as long as I serve the God of the Universe, my Provider!
Amen

No comments: